Best 3 Woods Reviews Top 5 + Recommended
Golf is a well-known and much-loved sport all around the world and its popularity continues to rise. This sport requires a great deal of precision and good strategical skills. Having the right kind of golf clubs makes this task easier.
With several manufacturers offering you a wide variety of products, it becomes essential to learn about all of them. Knowing how they are constructed, their different features and where they are best used can greatly affect your performance on the greens.
One of the most commonly used types of golf clubs are the fairway woods. These clubs are easy to hit and they can give a good deal of accuracy and performance.
Here will take an in depth look at the pros and cons of using a 3 wood as well as take a look at some of the best 3 woods in the business at the moment. They include:
Top 5 Best 3 Woods In 2018
Last update on 2018-12-13 at 13:18 PST - Details
The Most Recommended 3 Woods: Detailed Reviews 2018
We have spent more than 25 hours doing research online as we looked through customer reviews and user ratings on major e-commerce websites.
In this article, we have listed the top-rated and most reviewed products for you so that you can make an informed decision on what kind of clubs to buy.
1. Callaway Men's Big Bertha V Series Fairway Woods
Last update on 2018-12-13 at 11:44 PST - Details
If there were one word to describe them, it would probably be multi-functional as Callaway has packed a lot of features into them.
This attempt by Callaway seems to be quite successful considering how popular this product has been.
They give you good speed and help you to achieve great distances consistently. They look attractive, and the special Heavenwood option adds more value to this product.
- Speed optimized technology: The club head has a lightweight design, and it has been built keeping aerodynamics in mind. It is now possible to ensure that the ball travels a long distance with this light club. The shaft is lightweight too, and it helps to get more yardage.
- Distance: In golf, it is important for the ball to travel long distances but it is equally important for this to happen consistently. Users who have tried this product feel that this product gives you better distance than most of its counterparts.
- Versatility: The original Warbird soleplate had a unique design. It was sculpted in such a way that it gave a good amount of forgiveness. The design of this soleplate has been updated further, and it makes the club even more versatile. There is a cartoon of Isaac Newton on the sole which V-shaped, and it adds to the fun factor.
- Great looks: The club looks classy and elegant. The launch angle is increased, and this makes it easy to swing. It is also light, and it will feel effortless as you play. The glossy crown makes it look more stylish.
- Heavenwood option: The original Heavenwood had the length of a 4 wood which was 42.5inches and the loft of a 7 wood at 20degrees. This club has a special Heavenwood option which is a better version of the original.
This club has a length of 43inches and a loft of 20.5degrees.Though the configuration has not changed much, it gives more consistency in performance than the configuration of a 4 wood and 7 wood.
- The glossy finish of the head might not be liked by all. Some players prefer a matte finish for the head as it does not produce any glare.
- The size of the head could be a cause for concern for players with a high handicap. They would like a head which is larger in size to help them while playing.
This product is available in both left and right-hand orientation. The material of the shaft is graphite, and you can choose between a regular, senior or stiff flex. The clubhead and the shaft are both lights, and they assist you in getting great speed.
Along with its Hyper Speed steel face, you can be assured of a superb golfing performance.Most players who have used it find that it is not only easy to swing but also to hit well.
It has got extremely positive reviews and high ratings. It is no wonder then that this product is called one of the best game-improvement models ever manufactured.
The Cobra Men's King F6 Fairway Wood comes equipped with an innovative feature where you can adjust the center of gravity (CG) easily.
Not many manufacturers can claim to give you this feature and hence the Cobra product stands out from the rest.
It can perform exceedingly well in every situation and suits players with different swing styles.
- Adjustable center of gravity (CG): Some of the previous fairway models by Cobra had different shapes of the head. The weight of them was fixed either in the back or the front position. With the King F6 fairway and its moveable weight, Cobra has found an effective solution with its new design.
The CG in the front position gives the ball more roll and a penetrating flight. When the CG position is at the back, you get a towering flight with ample forgiveness.
There are two positions in the sole and you can move the weight back or forward by swapping its position with a black plastic cap. The 20g weight is in an aluminum shell and it is made of tungsten.
- Speed channel: The presence of an engineered channel which is around the perimeter of the face is an innovation brought to you exclusively by Cobra. The thickness is reduced and ball speed in increased on off-centre hits.
- MyFly with SmartPad: The King F6 fairway comes with eight loft settings that can be easily adjusted. It gives you plenty of choices, and you need not worry about overlaps.
The different 4degree ranges cover five points. All you need to do is get the right combination of the loft and the placement of the weight to get the perfect flight for your game. The SmartPad is easy and simple to use, and it does a great job.
- Attractive looks: It is available in black, blue and gray color options for you to choose from. It is a medium shaped fairway, and the design of the sole makes it look more attractive. The shaft complements the overall look of the club.
- Some users have felt that it will require some trial and error to find the perfect balance of the loft and the weight placement.
- The process of swapping the weights might not be as smooth as you expect. However, this might not be a serious issue as you would do it only initially to get the correct setting.
- Few users have also felt that some other fairways blast more efficiently through the rough than this product.
The King F6 Fairway Wood by Cobra looks great, and it comes armed with the added advantage of a rich feel too. Its capability to adjust the CG makes it one of the well-loved clubs with beginners and professionals alike.
It is available in attractive colors and both left and right-hand orientation. The material of the shaft is graphite, and you choose between one of the flex options, regular, senior, still and extra stiff.
This is one of the most highly rated products in this category. It is versatile and will prove to be an asset for players at every level.
3. TaylorMade Men's M1 Fairway Wood
Last update on 2018-12-13 at 13:18 PST - Details
The M1 Fairway Wood For Men by TaylorMade is quite popular among players with a relatively decent amount of golfing experience. It gives you a lot of options to shape your shot and does not compromise on speed as you do it.
One of its key features is the presence of the Sliding Weight that is split into two and is used to improve performance.
- Unique crown: This fairway by TaylorMade is their first carbon composite crown, and it is very effective in lowering the center of gravity (CG). The material used in the construction is lighter, and the weight that is saved is moved to the sole of the club.
- Split Sliding Weight: Most of the clubs have a single sliding weight, but by splitting them into two, TaylorMade gives the players some significant advantages. There are two weights, of 15grams each and they are made of an alloy of tungsten and nickel. This Front Track system is used to shape the shot in the range of fade, neutral or draw.
A single weight is useful to change the shape of the shot from left to right. However, having two weights allow the player to makes subtle and significant changes to the shape of the shot. You can also achieve more stability, and it increases the forgiveness.
- Adjustable loft: The sleeve can be adjusted, and there are 12 positions with +/- 2degree loft adjustments possible. The 3, 3HL and 5 models can be adjusted in the loft ranges of 13degrees to 17degrees, 15degrees to 19degrees and 17degrees to 21degrees respectively.
- Looks great: This fairway is well-balanced and feels smooth. The shaft is a Fujikura Pro 70 shaft and looks attractive. The color of the crown is a combination of black and white and adds to the visual appeal. The weights are flushed well within the sole.
- It does not come with a torque wrench made by TaylorMade. This could make it difficult for some users to make any adjustments to the club as they would have to purchase it separately.
- Some users felt that this fairway is not as forgiving as they would like it to be while some expected more length from it.
- Since it has two sliding weights, some players were missing the presence of hash marks on the slot that could help in the positioning.
The club looks attractive and feels smooth to play. It has also been described as one of the best fairway woods by people who have tested and used it. You can be assured of long distances due to the adjustability factor of the sliding weights.
The best part is that this distance can be achieved without too much effort and you can have full control on the direction. The TaylorMade M1 Fairway Wood is forgiving, but its sensation will give you instant feedback about how you hit the shot.
4. Titleist 915F Fairway Wood
Titleist is a well-known name in the golfing circles and their products signify high quality.
The 915F Fairway Wood is well designed, and it always keeps players benefit in mind.
Like all the other models of the 915 type, the 915F Fairway Wood also has the ARC or the Active Recoil Channel feature on the sole of the club.
- Great distance: The ARC on the 915F fairway wood is slightly forward in position.It is well integrated into the club as it curves along the face of the club. It also extends into the body of the club.
Due to this design, Titleist has managed to get the lower part of the club to flex during the impact and match the crown’s compression. This results in the increase of the ball speed and great distance both.
The face of the club does not have a variable thickness, instead, it is 2mm thick uniformly. This makes the impact feel solid, and it sounds much better compared to other similar models. The Carpenter steel face gives you good distance on off-centre hits.
- Good flight: With the 915F fairway, you need not worry about making special efforts to get your shots airborne as this happens quite easily. There are sixteen unique combinations of the loft and lie that help to significantly improve the flight of the ball.
It is easy to get the perfect setting of the loft and the lie angle both. It gives you a good amount of forgiveness, and this could be helpful to boost your confidence too.
- Visual appeal: Some of the most commonly used words to describe the 915F from Titleist are classy and elegant and rightly so. It has a clean and understated style which makes it look appealing.
The classic pear profile gives it a rich appearance. The glossy midnight black paint and its premium shaft are a great combination of looks and performance.
- Some users felt that the glossy look was distracting.
- Few users felt that it did not give them as much distance as they would have liked.
The 915F Fairway Wood by Titleist has been described by many as the complete package as it gives you performance, looks, and forgiveness too. These fairway woods give you a high-value performance, and it is easy to hit.
They are among the highly-rated clubs used by experienced players. The club head can be fitted well with any of the shaft options that Titleist provides.
It might not be the club which gives the most forgiveness, but Titleist has made some interesting technical changes. They have combined the ARC feature, uniform thin face and CG position to bring you a superb product.
5. Callaway Men's XR 16 Fairway Wood
The XR 116 Fairway Wood for me brought to you by Callaway has been designed keeping those golfers in mind who love speed.
This product offers an upgrade on features like speed, distance, and forgiveness. They have added the interesting Face Cup feature which enhances the strength that the original design possesses.
- Better performance: With the XR 16 fairway wood, Callaway has used technology to cater to the speed requirements of golfers. The design of the sole makes it easy to play in all situations and conditions.
Playing from the fairway, rough or even hitting from the thick stuff is possible now with this fairway wood. You can be assured of an all-round performance when the XR 16 fairway wood is your golfing companion.
- Face Cup feature: The Face Cup feature has been an important aspect of Callaway fairway woods. Callaway has been confident of the edge in performance that this feature gives it products. The use of the Face Cup is effective in producing better ball speeds and allows more forgiveness. The XR 16 excels in this respect.
- Unique shape of the head: The shape of the head has been designed keeping aerodynamics in mind. It gives you more head speed in addition to the ball speed. The head is quite oversized, and it comes equipped with a face design that is shallower. If getting superb ball speed is a golfer’s aim, then this would be a great product to achieve that.
- Visual appeal: The head has a pear shape and an attractive black matte finish which reduces the glare. The arrow in the center of the crown can be used as an aid for alignment.
The red color of the shaft adds an element of zing to the entire look of this fairway wood. There are contoured lines on the head that add drama to the fairway wood.
- Some users feel that the artwork that is present on the face should have been reduced and the arrow could have been more pronounced.
- Few users have provided feedback that some additional help may be required in getting the flight in the shot.
If there was one word that could be used to describe the Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood, it would have to be an all-rounder. It combines versatility, speed and forgiveness and this combination is an unbeatable one.
It incorporates some great technology that can be easily adjusted without the use of a wrench. With a construction that optimizes performance, this fairway wood has got some rave reviews, and it will help you improve your game.
Manufacturers today are coming with new and improved products, and hence the process of buying a fairway wood may seem complicated.
Here is a list of tips that will help you buy the right Fairway Wood for your needs.
- When considering the adjustability that they offer you, keep the important components in minds such as loft, face angle, and length of the shaft.
- The loft is responsible for controlling the trajectory, and it also affects the distance. When the club offers higher loft, the trajectory will be higher and the distance traveled by the ball will be shorter. The 3 wood and 5 wood offer a loft between 15 and 18degrees and 20 and 22degrees respectively.
- The face angle can affect the loft. A closed club face will add to the loft factor while an open clubface design will decrease it.
- The shaft length is dependent on the golf club number. Lower the club number; the longer will be the length of the shaft. Hence the 3 wood would usually have the longest shaft length, but this could depend on the manufacturers too.
- Fairway woods can be manufactured using steel, titanium or even a composite material.
- Steel is economical and strong. Titanium can help to get the ball airborne easily, and it is lightweight. The composite materials used in the manufacturing of fairway woods can increase the price factor, but they can be extremely lightweight.
Compare And Recommend
Last update on 2018-12-13 at 13:18 PST - Details
As we reviewed all the above products in detail, there were two products that impressed us the most. They are the Callaway Men's Big Bertha V Series Fairway Woods and the Cobra Men's King F6 Fairway Wood.
The Callaway Big Bertha V Series Fairway Woods comes in a wide variety of options to choose from. It is a perfect balance of speed, versatility and is capable of a high launch angle.
On the other hand, the Cobra King F6 Fairway can help you achieve distance and high ball speed.
Among these two, we would highly recommend the Cobra Men's KING F6 Fairway Wood. It’s simple and extremely crucial feature which allows you to adjust the CG in the front or back position majorly influenced our decision.
It is a medium shaped Fairway, and it can be used by players who are at different levels of play. This universal feature will make sure that you will not hesitate to use it as you improve your game.
It has a rich yet friendly look and will surely be your companion as your confidence increases with play. This fairway wood has been a favorite amongst players. Buy it now and get ready to get mesmerized by its capabilities.
We hope our review and recommendation helps you choose the perfect fairway wood for yourself.