Best Golf Irons Reviews 2018: Top 5+ Recommended
You might start a game of golf with that sweet looking driver or fairway wood. But to reach the green put the ball in the hole, you need the best golf irons. They form the bulk of the clubs in your set. Ranging from the long irons to the more specialized wedges, they cover the long game as well as the short game.
As a beginner and an amateur, you must know all the technicalities of the game before you get your own kit. Read golf magazines, talk to friends who are golfers before you can estimate your skill level and decide which club is most suited for your game.
But if you have already done it all and have decided that golf irons are what you want, without much delay read on.
Our shortlist of the best golf irons for 2018 includes:
Our Best Golf Irons For 2018
Last update on 2019-03-24 at 10:14 PST - Details
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
What are Irons
These are clubs with an iron head often used by golfers to strike a ball which is less than 200 yards from the green. They were originally designed to be rounded, accurate and have better control.
Irons are often sold in sets of six or eight.
What are The Numbers on Irons?
You can see the irons numbered from 1 to 9 in an increasing order of degree of loft. 1, 2 and 3 have minimum loft and send the ball farthest. Numbers 4, 5 and 6 are mid-range and are used when the ball is just 150 yards from the hole. Finally, the shortest of the irons are 7, 8 and 9 which have a high loft. 1 and 2 are the hardest to master.
In an iron set, you will also notice another marking - PW or pitch wedge and AW or approach wedge. Models with these specifications will be labeled 3-PW or 5-AW or 5-AW.PW when both wedges are present.
The Most Recommended Golf Irons: Detailed Reviews 2018
Last update on 2019-03-24 at 10:14 PST - Details
The key to improvement in golf is confidence which will come from results. The above determining factors will help you choose a golf iron that is suited to your swing and speed and not based on any general information. Armed with this knowledge choose the best golf irons from the list below.
1. Callaway Apex CF 16
Last update on 2019-03-24 at 09:34 PST - Details
By now you know that you want an iron that has a large sweet spot and a thick face. Like any good forgiving golf iron, the Apex CF 16 has a 350 face cup achieved with the latest technology in forged iron to produce ball speed which is consistent throughout.
The company has taken great care to make the club suitable for beginners by making it more playable.
To counter the struggle for better control that beginners often face, the Apex has engineered the face plate to provide more control.
The quadruple net forging and mild carbon steel makes this Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons soft.
- Distance: You have a great control on the distance with the 360 face technology despite missing the sweet spot. There is sufficient stopping power and adequate spin.
- Forgiveness: It can be called the hallmark of the club as even mishits are not too far from the target.
- Feel: It is ideal for game improvement as the feel is just right and responsive.
- Looks: It has a satiny look retaining the old world charm and elegance.
- Is pricey and not in everyone’s reach.
CALLAWAY APEX CF16 IRONS REVIEW (Source: Youtube.com)
2. Nike VRS Convert 2
If stability is what you are looking for in your irons then stop at Nike VRS Convert 2. It is suitable for mid handicappers and amateurs golfers. They are easy to hit, the ball has sufficient speed and there is lesser side spin.
Beginners always have to struggle with side spin and back spin but the Nexcor technology while leading to increase in ball speed has managed to keep the spin in check.
The sole is thinner and gives more accuracy and distance. The feel is soft and stable on impact.
If you have used the earlier Nike version you will like the improved good looking iron which is more forgiving (thanks to the shift in the center of gravity).
- Epitome of forgiveness: The cavity in the head is so designed away from the perimeter to increase the club's forgiveness.
- Good looks: Glossy look and rounded finish make the club more appealing and nice.
- Compact: Unlike the other bulkier irons the Convert is compact but sits nicely behind the ball.
- Thick face: This feature increases the ball speed which in turn improves the distance.
- Reliable feedback: You can feel the impact of the strike instantly whether low-face or otherwise.
- Poorly designed grips.
NIKE VR_S COVERT 2.0 IRON TEST (SOURCE: YOUTUBE.COM)
3. Cobra Men's Baffler XL Golf Iron
When you use the Baffler you will be baffled how an iron club can produce so much bounce and deliver the ball with speed. Well, this is the undercut design on the club, which makes the club not only easy to hit but also forgiving.
In fact, in this model (as in many others) you don’t feel the vibrations for any off-center hits. Furthermore, the sole is designed to minimize friction with the grass; this reduces the head drag and increases the speed which in turn leads to greater distance from each strike.
- Forgiveness: The under cut design produces high forgiveness making it suitable for high handicappers and beginners.
- No need to worry about swing: You need not worry that a chunk of grass flying every time you strike because V-skid sole design forgives all kinds of swings making it ideal for beginners.
- Lightweight: Shaft is light improving the head speed.
- Large Sweet spot: It adds to the speed of the ball and also contributes to forgiveness.
- Playability: Be it a tee box, fairway or the green this Baffler can handle it all.
- Length: It is longer than the other irons of the same range.
Cobra Golf Baffler XL Irons (Source: Youtube.com)
4. TaylorMade PSi Iron Set
Speed accuracy launch and flight control should play a key role in any beginner’s journey in the realm of golf. You must have already experienced by now that irons are the only ones that can shape your game from the beginning.
What makes the TaylorMade unique is the two slots on either end of the face that is grooved. This design provides greater flexibility to the player. It also increases the speed of the ball while consistently maintaining the distance.
- TaylorMade's thinnest face with a deep undercut design adds to the ball speed and improves accuracy.
- Great Speed: Grooved face and slots on either side ensure that the consistency in speed and distance is maintained.
- More forgiveness: The inverted cone design provides greater forgiveness
- Higher trajectory: The speed pocket leads to higher launch angle which in turn improves the trajectory making even off-center strikes travels far.
- Lightweight: It is lightweight and easier to hit and this also reduces the strain on the shoulders and back.
- Goof feel: Hi-end construction and the use of multiple dampening systems ensure that you feel each shot smoothly while the sound is dulled.
- No adjustability reduces the versatility of the iron.
TaylorMade PSi Irons Review (Source: Youtube.com)
5. Cleveland Golf Men’s Altitude Iron Set
Last update on 2019-03-24 at 10:14 PST - Details
When all that you want to do is to go high and straight then grab a Cleveland Golf Altitude. As a beginner you always look for forgiveness in your clubs and this club won’t disappoint you in that aspect. The club has been constructed to distribute the weight evenly and in the process provide ball speed and distance.
These clubs are ideal for slow swingers and amateurs who consistently miss the center as it provides the additional loft.
The Face Forged technology increases the ball speed and improves the overall performance of the golf iron. It is best suited for high handicappers.
- Very forgiving: Plenty of perimeter weight and offset make the club very forgiving even for off-center strikes.
- Multiuse: The wide sole and deep CG make sure that the club can be used on fairways and the rough equally well.
- Goes high: You can launch the balls really high before they land softly in the green.
- Good feel: The sound of impact and the feel are very good and pleasing.
- Not a great looker: The head looks bulky and too traditional
- Not fit for all: The construction seems a bit hollow and is ideal for really weak players and total newcomers.
Cleveland Golf 588 Altitude Irons (Source: Youtube.com)
Types of Irons
It is crucial to understand the various types of golf irons to know which is best suited for your needs.
1. Max - Game Improvement Irons
These irons are normally meant for the beginner and the high handicapper. They are also known as cavity backs because of the large hollow cavity in the back of the club head. These irons are most forgiving as the sole and the top lines are bigger.
2. Game Improvement Irons
This type is more suitable for a larger section of players which includes the mid handicappers, beginners, and even professionals. It is more compact and thinner than the cavity back. The cavity is also smaller here.
These irons are suitable for the professional and low handicappers because they have no cavity which means they are less forgiving. But they have a great feel and provide a better control on the strikes.
Who Should Use The Forgiving Game Improvement Irons?
Your skill level is determined by your handicap number. Are you above 25 or below 5 will determine whether you fall into the high handicapper, mid-handicapper or low handicapper category.
Those with a handicap above 25 should use the cavity backs because they have greater forgiveness.
With the improvement in technologies used to manufacture heads and shafts, even game improvement irons are been used by professionals because of better consistency and greater forgiveness.
So if you opt for game improvement irons then you are making a long-term investment of at least five years.
Should Beginners Opt for Irons?
Yes, there is no doubt that irons are hard to master, but that should not deter you from owning some. They are not for improving swing, but they certainly play a role in improving your strokes and aid in the progress of your game.
In fact, even players who want to improve their overall performance can use these irons and benefit from them. They are also used on PGA tours by professionals.
Where Do Beginners Go Wrong?
Most beginners always struggle to hit the ball right. They have problems primarily with the stance followed by the swing. Incidentally, no club can help you get the right swing from the word go; it comes with practice. Another common mistake that all beginners make is to hit the ball all over the club face and rarely in the center. Almost all club manufacturers are using technologies to overcome these issues and create clubs that are more beginner friendly.
What Do Beginners Expect From Their Clubs?
As a beginner, you always wish to hit straight and long despite not hitting the center. Will the most forgiving game improvement irons help you achieve this goal? Let us see.
Features For The Best Golf Irons For Beginners
Whether you are looking for the best golf iron for yourself or the best golf iron for beginners you should focus on the club head design, shaft and the material used.
Club Head Design
Basically, there are two types of club head designs: forged iron club head and cast iron club head. Each type has its own strength. It is crucial that you identify which of the two is better suited for your style of playing.
- Forged Head: These heads are made from a single sheet of metal. Forged head is ideal for the more proficient player because it has a very small sweet spot; therefore for best results, your shot has to be accurate. Furthermore, the feedback on these clubs can be felt only by an advanced player and not a beginner.
- Cast Head: These heads are manufactured by casting iron into a mold. As a result, the head is larger and consequently, the sweet spot too is bigger. They are lighter than the forged heads and your shot will travel only shorter distances in comparison. They are thus more suited for a beginner and an amateur.
There are two types of shafts: steel shaft and graphite shaft. You must pay attention not only to the material but also to the flex to produce accurate shots. Remember your swing style and speed is to be taken into consideration when you check out the flex of a shaft. Normally, slow swingers should opt for more flexibility and normal to high-speed golfers for a stiffer shaft. Any golf shop can determine your speed.
Other Pointers For Best Irons For Beginners
If your aim is to improve your game your irons must definitely have the following qualities.
- Forgiveness: For a beginner, it is always a challenge to hit the ball to the target. It can be frustrating if you don’t meet success at all. Forgiveness is that aspect of the golf iron that will ensure that you are on the right track despite your skill level. So, clubs which have maximum forgiveness are best suited for beginners because they will ensure that you are never too far from your goal.
- Soles: When you compare two heads of the same weight but different sole, you will observe that the wider sole produces a higher trajectory. Wider soles can also overcome resistance better and hence they are ideal for shots from the rough when compared to narrow soles.
- Sweet Spot: This is the area from where you must strike the ball to reach the target. Beginners often struggle to hit the sweet spot consistently and hence are off the mark. When the sweet spot is bigger the success rate is equivalently high.
Things To Do Before Buying The Best Forgiving Irons
Everybody wants to be Tiger Woods and with practice and the right equipment, you too can shine but only after you identify your strengths and weakness. The swing is suspect for all beginners, but that will develop as you keep practicing. The other things that you must be aware of before you make the investment are:
- Posture and Strength: As long as you don’t have the proper posture your game won’t improve. Since it is difficult to assess your stance and posture by yourself, you should go for club fitting before you make a purchase.
- Choosing the right shaft: If the shaft is too stiff, you might not get the desired result. You can tell if a shaft is right by the feel.
- Normal balls are okay for practice: Till your game improves there is no need to spend on good quality balls because you won’t know the difference.
- Use a launch monitor: Most of the golf shops offer this facility for the customers to evaluate their swing. Your ball speed must be 1.4 to 1.5 times the speed of the swing, if not you might want to reassess your club.
- Check the head shape and perimeter: Try out various head shapes and sizes, and perimeter weighted clubs to get the real feel when you swing.
It is never easy to choose one model that is most suitable for your needs. From the above review it is clear that the best golf irons for beginners should have sufficient forgiveness, should be easy to hit and the ball should travel long.
The above golf irons are all good in their own way but if we have to make a decision then the most forgiving game improving iron is the TaylorMade RSi1.
Shots from the TaylorMade are accurate, cover distance and provide a great feel.
The two slotted and grooved face give greater stability to your shots while also ensuring that the speed of the ball is maintained. You need forgiveness as a beginner and this iron has plenty to give even when you do not strike the sweet center. Further, the lightweight nature of the club makes it easier to hit.
So, those who want to grow into a better golfer and have more control on their shots can try the Taylormade – it is a complete package of workability, distance, accuracy, and looks.